Conservation laws on a star-shaped network
Next Thursday March 2, 2023:
Event: FAU DCN-AvH Seminar
Organized by: FAU DCN-AvH, Chair for Dynamics, Control and Numerics – Alexander von Humboldt Professorship at FAU, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (Germany)
Title: Conservation laws on a star-shaped network
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Carlotta Donadello
Affiliation: Université de Franche-Comté (France)
Abstract. Hyperbolic conservation laws defined on oriented graphs are widely used in the modeling of a variety of phenomena such as vehicular and pedestrian traffic, irrigation channels, blood circulation, gas pipelines, structured population dynamics.
From the point of view of the mathematical analysis each of these situations demands for a different definition of admissible solution, encoding in particular the node coupling between incoming and outgoing edges which is the most coherent with physical observations.
A comprehensive study of the necessary and sufficient properties of the coupling conditions which lead to well-posedness of the corresponding admissible solutions is available in the framework of conservation laws with discontinuous flux, which can be seen as a simple 1-1 network, see (2).
A similar theory for conservation laws on star-shaped graph is at its beginning.
In particular, the characterization of family of solutions obtained as limits of regularizing approximations, such as vanishing viscosity limits, is still a partially open problem.
In this talk we’ll provide a general introduction to the topic, an overview of the most recent results and some explicit examples.
Zoom meeting link
Meeting ID: 614 4658 159 | PIN code: 914397
This event on LinkedIn
(1) Boris P. Andreianov, Giuseppe Maria Coclite, and Carlotta Donadello. Well-posedness for vanishing viscosity solutions of scalar conservation laws on a network. Discrete Contin. Dyn. Syst., 37(11):5913–5942, 2017.
(2) Boris Andreianov, Kenneth Hvistendahl Karlsen, and Nils Henrik Risebro. A theory of L1-dissipative solvers for scalar conservation laws with discontinuous flux. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 201(1):27–86, 2011.
(4) Giuseppe Maria Coclite and Carlotta Donadello. Vanishing viscosity on a star-shaped graph under general transmission conditions at the node. Netw. Heterog. Media, 15(2):197–213, 2020.
(5) Markus Musch, Ulrik Skre Fjordholm, and Nils Henrik Risebro. Well-posedness theory for nonlinear scalar conservation laws on networks. Networks and Heterogeneous Media, 17(1):101–128, 2022.
(6) U. S. Fjordholm, M. Musch, and N. H. Risebro. Well-posedness and convergence of a finite volume method for conservation laws on networks. SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 60(2):606–630, 2022.