Next Monday, July 17, 2023:
Event: FAU DCN-AvH Mini-workshop: Analysis, Numerics and Control
Organized by: FAU DCN-AvH, Chair for Dynamics, Control, Machine Learning and Numerics – Alexander von Humboldt Professorship at FAU, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (Germany)
Abstract. For some applications is better to consider optimal control problems with box constraints and without regulatization terms. We discuss a general class of problems, called affine, that are linear in the control. In this type of problems, bang-bang optimal controls appear generically, and stability issues become quite delicate.
Title: Introducing PDE models of certain smart-material systems involving piezoelectric materials and diving into related controllability issues
Speaker: Prof. Dr. Ahmet Ozkan Ozer
Affiliation: Visiting Scientist at FAU DCN-AvH from Western Kentucky University (USA).
Abstract. Piezoelectric materials exhibit electric responses to mechanical stress, and mechanical responses to electric stress. Therefore, they are actively used as actuators and sensors in smart-material system designs. In this talk, several PDE models of multi-layer (stacked) or serially-connected smart material beam/plate systems will be introduced. These models mainly couple the longitudinal and/or transverse vibrations of layers with the electro-magnetism due to Maxwell’s equations and/or thermal effects. Recent results on the exact boundary observability, controllability, stabilizability with the inclusion of state feedback, delay, long-range memory, nonlinearity, partial viscous/fractional damping will be discussed, and certain mathematical hurdles will be mentioned. On the other hand, even though some of the linearized PDE models are known to be exactly boundary observable/exponentially stabilizable, their approximations by the Finite-Elements and Finite-Differences suffer from mimicking these behaviors uniformly with respect to the discretization parameter. Recently proposed remedies involving the direct Fourier filtering and order-reduction techniques bring several mathematical challenges due to the non-compact coupling among the system equations and different wave propagation speeds through the layers.
Finally, if the time allows, ongoing and recently published Wolfram’s Demonstration Projects, which are interactive visualizations with realistic material parameters. This platform allows the controllers to be adjusted in real-time. Related future directions will be discussed.
On-site / Online[On-site] Room 01.151. FAU, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg.
GPS-Koord. Raum: 49.573732N, 11.029867E
Cauerstraße 11, 91058 Erlangen. [Online] Zoom meeting link
Meeting ID: 614 4658 1599 | PIN code: 914397
Previous FAU DCN-AvH Workshops:
• Seminars & Workshops
• Mini-workshop: “Analysis, Numerics and Control” by Qiong Zhang, Minh-Binh Tran, Ling-Yun Shou (June 30, 2023)
• Mini-workshop: “Analysis, Numerics and Control” by Cetin Yildiz, Hari Mahato (May 26, 2023)
• Mini-workshop: “Analysis, Numerics and Control” by Hu, Ignat, Manea, Sokolowski (May 11, 2023)
• Mini-workshop: “Analysis, Numerics and Control” by Simpore, Xiao, Song (March 27th, 2023)
• Mini-workshop: “Analysis, Numerics and Control” by Djida, Wang, Álvarez (November 14th, 2022)
• Mini-workshop: “Analysis, Numerics and Control” by Parada, Crin-Barat (November 11th, 2022)
• Mini-workshop: “Recent Advances in Analysis and Control” by Aceves, Paoli and Sarac (July 1st, 2022)
• Mini-workshop: “Recent Advances in Analysis and Control” by Simpore, Crin-Barat, Biccari (June 20th, 2022)
• Mini-Workshop “Calculus of Variations and Functional Inequalities” by König, Glaudo (May 25th, 2022)
• Mini-workshop: “Model Reduction and Control” by Peitz, Manzoni, Strazzullo (May 24th, 2022)
• Seminar Series: Deep Learning in Control by Heiland (January 17th, 2022)
• Mini-workshop: “Recent Advances in Analysis and Control” by Lazar, Zamorano, Lecaros (January 14th, 2022)
• Mini-workshop: “Recent Advances in Analysis and Control” by Ftouhi, Rodríguez, Song, Matabuena (October 1st, 2021)
• Mini-workshop: “Recent Advances in Analysis and Control” (II) by Sônego, Minh Binh Tran (May 21th, 2021)
• Mini-workshop: “Recent Advances in Analysis and Control” by Della Pietra, Wöhrer, Meinlschmidt (April 30th, 2021)